Retrieval of colour and texture images using local directional peak valley binary pattern
- Gupta, Srishti; Roy, Partha Pratim; Dogra, Debi Prosad; Kim, Byung-Gyu
- Issue Date
- LBP value; Image retrieval; Image classification; Feature vector; Texture database; Face database; Local binary pattern
- PATTERN ANALYSIS AND APPLICATIONS, v.23, no.4, pp.1569 - 1585
- Journal Title
- PATTERN ANALYSIS AND APPLICATIONS
- Start Page
- End Page
- Many content-based image retrieval (CBIR) methods are being developed to store more and more information about images in shorter feature vectors and to improve image retrieval rate. In the proposed method, two-step approach to CBIR has been developed. The first step generates an image mask from local binary pattern (LBP). This LBP mask is then utilized to draw comparison between the centre pixel and the eight surrounding pixels. The second step involves drawing the peak and valley patterns of local directional binary pattern for each image which is then combined with the colour histogram to retrieve similar images. Existing methods suffer from lower average image retrieval accuracy even with larger feature vectors. The proposed method overcomes such problems through shorter feature vectors that can store more information about the image. As illustrated through experimental results, the proposed method produces promising results with shorter feature vector of length 56 and improved image retrieval rate of about 5-10%. Our method outperforms similar techniques when tested with public data sets.
- Files in This Item
Go to Link
- Appears in
- ICT융합공학부 > IT공학전공 > 1. Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.