Electronic structure of p(2 × 3) Ag films on Si(100)
- Kim, Soon-Ki; Kim, Jae-Sung; Lee, Geunseop; Nogami, Jun; Kong, Ki-jeong; Yu, Byung Deok; Ahn, Doyeol
- Issue Date
- KOREAN PHYSICAL SOC
- Ag; Si(100); Electronics structure; EELS; First principles calculations
- JOURNAL OF THE KOREAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY, v.62, no.1, pp.86 - 91
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF THE KOREAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY
- Start Page
- End Page
- The electronic structure of p(2 x 3) Ag films on Si(100) is studied by using electron energy loss spectroscopy (EELS) and scanning tunneling spectroscopy (STS). We observe three energy loss peaks with their loss energies around 1.28, 1.63, and 4.0 eV, respectively. They are assigned to the interband transition in the p(2x3) islands, the interface plasmon between Si(100) and Ag crystallites formed concomitantly with the p(2 x 3) islands, and a combination of the surface plasmon and interband transition of the Ag crystallites, respectively. STS over the p(2 x 3) surface also reveals a band gap around 1 eV in good agreement with the EELS observation of the interband transition. The present observation of the band gap suggests that the p(2 x 3) surface is semiconducting. Furthermore, we examine two models previously proposed for the p(2 x 3) surface against the present experimental observation by ab initio band structure calculations.
- Files in This Item
Go to Link
- Appears in
- ICT융합공학부 > 응용물리전공 > 1. Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.