Globalization and Convergence/Divergence Theories of Unionism Revisited: Towards a Comprehensive Analytical Model글로벌화와 노동조합 수렴론/분화론 논쟁 재고찰: 통합적 분석 모텔의 탐색
- Other Titles
- 글로벌화와 노동조합 수렴론/분화론 논쟁 재고찰: 통합적 분석 모텔의 탐색
- 권혜원; 권순원
- Issue Date
- globalization; unionism; convergence theory of unionism; variety of unionism; strategic choice; dynamics of contention; 글로벌화; 노동조합주의; 노동조합 수렴론; 노동조합의 다양성; 전략적 선택
- 경영컨설팅연구, v.12, no.4, pp.467 - 494
- Journal Title
- Start Page
- End Page
- This article is concerned with predicting the future of unionism in a globalized environment. For this, it considers rival hypotheses that point to different paths of unionism. The traditional convergence theory of unionism highlighted the unitary evolution towards business unionism while the divergence approach pointed to the variety of union identities and functions. The convergence-divergence debate has entered a new round in the context of globalization. While the contemporary version of convergence claim highlights the unanimous decline of labor unions as a result of capital relocation and downward competitive pressures, the variation-finding approach emphasizes the persistent differences in union influences due to the differences in national institutional settings. Yet recent studies of labor unions have demonstrated that there exists a substantial subnational variation in union strategic effectiveness within same national institutional settings. Hence while labor unions are faced with similar challenges brought by globalization, unions have different abilities to retain their influences. To explain these contradictory trends of converging divergences, this article tries to develop an alternative framework that combines the interaction between environmental changes and strategic action of state, employers and labor. It is expected that the alternative framework provides a better tool to understand the dynamics of union development.
- Files in This Item
Go to Link
- Appears in
- 경상대학 > 경영학부 > 1. Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.