DCPA: approximate adder design exploiting dual carry prediction
- Choi, Woong; Shim, Minseob; Seok, Hyelin; Kim, Yongtae
- Issue Date
- IEICE-INST ELECTRONICS INFORMATION COMMUNICATION ENGINEERS
- approximate adder; dual carry prediction; energy efficiency
- IEICE ELECTRONICS EXPRESS, v.18, no.23, pp.1 - 4
- Journal Title
- IEICE ELECTRONICS EXPRESS
- Start Page
- End Page
- This letter presents a novel approximate adder that significantly improves computation accuracy by utilizing a dual carry prediction and error reduction scheme. In our experiments, the proposed adder improves mean error distance (MED) and mean relative error distance (MRED) by up to 58.6% and 58.5%, respectively, when compared with existing approximate adders. Also, when implemented in 65-nm CMOS technology, the proposed adder reduces area, delay, and power by 37%, 48%, and 41%, respectively, compared with the traditional adder. Furthermore, the effectiveness of our design over existing adders is investigated using a digital image processing application.
- Files in This Item
Go to Link
- Appears in
- ETC > 1. Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.