UB-H: an unbalanced-hierarchical layer binary-wise construction method for high-dimensional data
- Ihm, Sun-Young; Park, So-Hyun; Park, Young-Ho
- Issue Date
- SPRINGER WIEN
- Green computing; Cloud computing; Convex hull; Unbalanced layer
- COMPUTING, v.105, no.3, pp.595 - 616
- Journal Title
- Start Page
- End Page
- Cloud computing, which is distributed, stored and managed, is drawing attention as data generation and storage volumes increase. In addition, research on green computing, which increases energy efficiency, is also widely studied. An index is constructed to retrieve huge dataset efficiently, and the layer-based indexing methods are widely used for efficient query processing. These methods construct a list of layers, so that only one layer is required for information retrieval instead of the entire dataset. The existing layer-based methods construct the layers using a convex hull algorithm. However, the execution time of this method is very high, especially in large, high-dimensional datasets. Furthermore, if the total number of layers increases, the query processing time also increases, resulting in efficient, but slow, query processing. In this paper, we propose an unbalanced-hierarchical layer method, which hierarchically divides the dimensions of input data to increase the total number of layers and reduce the index building time. We demonstrate that the proposed procedure significantly increases the total number of layers and reduces the index building time, compared to existing methods through the various experiments.
- Files in This Item
Go to Link
- Appears in
- ETC > 1. Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.