Development of Hydrogels to Improve the Safety of Yukhoe (Korean Beef Tartare) by Reducing Psychrotrophic Listeria monocytogenes Cell Counts on Raw Beef Surfaceopen access
- Oh, Hyemin; Kim, Sejeong; Lee, Soomin; Ha, Jimyeong; Lee, Jeeyeon; Choi, Yukyung; Lee, Yewon; Kim, Yujin; Seo, Yeongeun; Yoon, Yohan
- Issue Date
- KOREAN SOC FOOD SCIENCE ANIMAL RESOURCES
- antimicrobial; hydrogel patch; natural antibiotic agent; Listeria monocytogenes; Yukhoe
- KOREAN JOURNAL FOR FOOD SCIENCE OF ANIMAL RESOURCES, v.38, no.6, pp.1189 - 1195
- Journal Title
- KOREAN JOURNAL FOR FOOD SCIENCE OF ANIMAL RESOURCES
- Start Page
- End Page
- This study developed an antimicrobial hydrogel to control Listeria monocytogenes in Yukhoe (Korean beef tartare). Four hydrogels (hydrogel 1: 5% alginate+1% chitosan+0.2% CaCl2, hydrogel 2: 1% kappa-carrageenan+1% chitosan, hydrogel 3: 2% kappa-carrageenan+1% CaCl2, and hydrogel 4: 2% kappa-carrageenan+3% CaCl2) were prepared. The hydrogels then absorbed 0.1% grapefruit seed extract (GSE) and 0.1% citrus extract (CE) for 30, 60, 120, and 240 min to be antimicrobial hydrogels. To select the most effective antimicrobial hydrogel, their swelling ratio (SR) and antilisterial activities were determined. The selected hydrogel (2x2 cm) was then placed on surface of beef (round; 3x3 cm), where L. monocytogenes (ca. 10(6) CFU/g) were inoculated, and the cell counts were enumerated on PALCAM agar. Among the hydrogels, the SR of hydrogel 1 increased with absorbing time, but other hydrogels showed no significant changes. Antimicrobial hydrogel 1 showed higher (p<0.05) antilisterial activity than other antimicrobial hydrogels, especially for the one absorbed the antimicrobial for 120 min. Thus, the antimicrobial hydrogel 1 absorbed antimicrobials for 120 min was applied on raw beef at 4 degrees C, and reduced (p<0.05) more than 90% of L. monocytogenes on raw beef. These results indicate that antimicrobial hydrogel 1 formulated with 0.1% GSE or 0.1% CE is appropriate to improve the safety of Yukhoe by reducing psychrotrophic L. monocytogenes cell counts on raw beef.
- Files in This Item
Go to Link
- Appears in
- 생활과학대학 > 식품영양학과 > 1. Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.