문화적 다양성과 젠더 평등: 유럽내 무슬림 여성의 베일 논쟁을 중심으로Cultural Diversity and Gender Equality: Discourse on Muslim Women’s Veil in Europe
- Other Titles
- Cultural Diversity and Gender Equality: Discourse on Muslim Women’s Veil in Europe
- Issue Date
- 다문화주의; 페미니즘; 젠더 평등; 무슬림 여성의 베일; Multiculturalism; Feminism; Gender Equality; Muslim Woman; Veil
- 세계지역연구논총, v.31, no.2, pp.179 - 207
- Journal Title
- Start Page
- End Page
- In Europe, large numbers of Muslim women face difficulties brought by cultural differences between their country of origin and Europe. Within Europe, the veil has become a symbol of Muslim women’s gendered oppression; and Muslim women who observe a strict dress code-by veiling themselves either with a hijab, burqa, or niqab-are seen as a challenge to European notions of secularism and modernity. The way Muslim women dress and cover their heads is a topic of fierce and emotional debate in Europe. The debate is made more strident by the emerging conflict within European societies in the way they address the issues of feminism and multiculturalism.
This paper will analyze how European societies respond through their policies to the ethnic minority customs which conflict with the universal human rights of women.
For this purpose, this paper intends to review various social debates and policies in Europe regarding Muslim woman’s veil. Among the many areas where the universal rights of women and multiculturalism conflict, there is a controversy surrounding the wearing of traditional veil. The veil involves religion, culture, and gender. In order to investigate this subject in depth, this paper will discuss the matter by going into the conflict between multiculturalism and feminism.
- Files in This Item
Go to Link
- Appears in
- 사회과학대학 > 행정학과 > 1. Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.