Development of a limitless scale-up photobioreactor for highly efficient photosynthesis-based polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB)-producing cyanobacteria
- Lee Jeong Seop; Sung Young Joon; Kim Dong Hun; Lee Ju Yeon; Sim Sang Jun
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCI LTD
- Cyanobacteria; CO2 bioconversion; Poly hydroxybutyrate; Photobioreactor; Flue gas
- BIORESOURCE TECHNOLOGY, v.364
- Journal Title
- BIORESOURCE TECHNOLOGY
- Photosynthetic polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB) production is an attractive technology for realizing a sustainable society by simultaneously producing useful biodegradable plastics and mitigating CO2. It is necessary to establish an economical large-scale photobioreactor (PBR) capable of effectively cultivating photosynthetic microorgan isms such as cyanobacteria. A roll-to-roll winding machine/heat-sealer hybrid system for fabricating an easy-to-scale-up PBR was developed in the present study. The baffle design was optimized to facilitate mass transfer within the PBR, and the operating conditions of the gas sparger were investigated to maximize the CO2 transfer efficiency. The newly developed PBR was able to produce biomass of PHB content 10.7 w/w% at a rate of 6.861 g m(-2) d(-1), 21 % improved biomass productivity compared with the existing PBR. It was confirmed that biomass productivity was maintained even when PBR was scaled up to 2 tons. Consequently, the newly developed PBR is expected to improve the feasibility of photosynthetic PHB production.
- Files in This Item
Go to Link
- Appears in
- 공과대학 > 화공생명공학부 > 1. Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.