1. Theorization of Kim Dae Jung’s Pursuit of Inter-Korean Economic Exchanges: 2. Complex interdependence model1. Theorization of Kim Dae Jung’s Pursuit of Inter-Korean Economic Exchanges: 2. Complex interdependence model
- Other Titles
- 1. Theorization of Kim Dae Jung’s Pursuit of Inter-Korean Economic Exchanges: 2. Complex interdependence model
- Issue Date
- Kim Dae Jung; inter-Korean economic exchange; complex interdependence model
- 세계지역연구논총, v.30, no.2, pp.243 - 278
- Journal Title
- Start Page
- End Page
- This paper aims to provide an adequate theoretical interpretation of the South Korean government’s North Korea policy led by Kim Dae Jung with a particular focus on his attempts to promote inter-Korean trade under political hostility. It finds the so-called ‘Jŏngkyŏng Bulli’ initiative and permission of inter-Korean contact through multiple channels as key elements that facilitated uninterrupted growth of trade between the two Koreas while the military confrontation still prevailed. As a preliminary analytical framework to explain the substantial changes in inter-Korean relations during the Kim Dae Jung presidency, this paper proposes complex interdependence model as an ideal type of relationship. The model reflects a key pattern of changes in international relations, typified by transnational interaction and asymmetrical reciprocity, and these notions also create a backdrop that generated the Kim Dae Jung policy in establishing improved economic exchanges with the DPRK.
- Files in This Item
Go to Link
- Appears in
- ETC > 1. Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.