The Lexical Systems of Korean EFL Learners: Revelations from Word Association TestsThe Lexical Systems of Korean EFL Learners: Revelations from Word Association Tests
- Other Titles
- The Lexical Systems of Korean EFL Learners: Revelations from Word Association Tests
- Stephen P. van Vlack
- Issue Date
- word association test; mental lexicon; schema; connections; access; 언어관계 검사; 지능 어휘; 배경지식; 결합; 접근
- 응용언어학, v.29, no.4, pp.221 - 248
- Journal Title
- Start Page
- End Page
- This study attempts to glean information on the lexical system of Korean EFL learners through word association tests. Two word association tests were given in English, in both spoken and written modes, to university freshmen with no overseas experience. The results were different from those found in previous studies. Participants showed a parasitic relation between English and Korean in that responses to English stimuli were mediated by Korean, even for participants of higher proficiency. It is suggested that this is the result of a lack of strong association between English items, which may reflect decontextualized rote memorization of English forms in a way that is strongly linked to Korean related forms.
- Files in This Item
Go to Link
- Appears in
- 특수대학원 > TESOL대학원 > 1. Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.