시간의 서사화와 의사소통 - 『엄마를 부탁해』를 중심으로Narrative of the Time and Communication - Focus on the novel of Take Good Care of Mom by Shin Kyung-Sook
- Other Titles
- Narrative of the Time and Communication - Focus on the novel of Take Good Care of Mom by Shin Kyung-Sook
- Issue Date
- 시간; 의사소통; 서사화; 미메시스; 회상; 소통; 성찰; 소설; Time; Communication; Narrative; Mimesis; Recollection; Anticipation; Memory; Novel
- 세계문학비교연구, no.30, pp.5 - 28
- Journal Title
- Start Page
- End Page
- The study of the time in novel has been treated one of the three elements in structural poetics. But this structural poetics restricts the time to the relations of novel's intrinsic structure so that it could not fully reveal the meanings of writer's writing time and reader's reading time. One novel's full meaning would be acquired not by the text's complete structure but by the communication between the writer, the text and the reader.
This study is aiming for this communication and the time's relationship with focusing on Shin Kyung-Sook's novel, Take Good Care of Mom. This analysis will present why this novel winned sensational popularity in Korean culture and then shed light on the full meaning of one text. The financial crisis of U.S of 2007 affected Korean economy and in 2009 individual's feeling of panic spread all over the Korean society. In such a circumstances, Shin Kyung-Sook published Take Good Care of Mom which arouse the importance of family as the personal life's basis.
In Korean culture Mom is illustrated as strong character taking poverty and pain lying down. Author intended to heal the individual's wound owing to economic crisis with this image of mom. Her novel made 'memories' into narratives and offered a speculative time for a person's worth, mom.
Temporality in novel involved the times the author was in and created. The author's historical recognition combine with reader's social recognition and then it produce temporal meaning and communicative values of text. The time of narrative structure have two kinds of appearances, for example recollection in sometimes and anticipation in other times, and develop through memory, reminisce and coming back. But the most important value in this narrative structure is acquired when the communicative time is disclosed between the author and the reader.
In result, this study is visualizing the temporality of novel in cultural context by grafting Paul Ricoeur's hermeneutic's temporality onto communication models. The narrative of the time in novel is related with created time by author and reading time by reader and the value of one text in an era is formed by the communication of narrative meaning on the time in text.
- Files in This Item
Go to Link
- Appears in
- ETC > 1. Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.